Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Redacted] 17:15 - Aug 30 with 2725 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 17:40 - Aug 30 with 2187 viewsjontysnut

Bronco Bullfrog - late 60s/early 70s low budget movie reflecting suede head culture

This Sporting Life - Richard Harris and rugby league, also Saturday Night Sunday Morning from the same era, with Albert Finney

"Don't let the b@st@ds grind you down. What I want is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.”
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 17:53 - Aug 30 with 2164 viewsIllinoisblue

Not a film as such but there was a BBC2 drama from i’m guessing mid to late 70s, set in Scotland. Working class lads. Main character was called Dancer. Can’t for the life of me remember what it was called.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:12 - Aug 30 with 2137 viewsjontysnut

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 17:53 - Aug 30 by Illinoisblue

Not a film as such but there was a BBC2 drama from i’m guessing mid to late 70s, set in Scotland. Working class lads. Main character was called Dancer. Can’t for the life of me remember what it was called.

That was a classic Play for Today Just a Boys Game I think. Frankie Miller. Also Just Another Saturday, old firm day in Glasgow with Billy Connolly? Those plays had a great affect on me, realising there was a bigger, nastier world beyond school and Ipswich.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 18:37]
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:17 - Aug 30 with 2125 viewsBlueBoots

Scum
Four Lions
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:19 - Aug 30 with 2122 viewsKeno

Carry on at your convenience

Ordinary working men and women and their everyday lives in a factory

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:24 - Aug 30 with 2106 viewsgainsboroughblue

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 17:53 - Aug 30 by Illinoisblue

Just a boys game.

[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 18:28]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

[Redacted] on 18:38 - Aug 30 with 2054 viewsvictorywilhappen

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:17 - Aug 30 by BlueBoots

Scum
Four Lions
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

[Redacted]
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:42 - Aug 30 with 2033 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Firm

Made in Britain (The Tim Roth one with Exploited playing over the intro)
[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 18:42]

Login to get fewer ads

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:44 - Aug 30 with 2007 viewsIllinoisblue

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:24 - Aug 30 by gainsboroughblue

Just a boys game.

[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 18:28]

Thank you both. Will give that a watch. Seem to recall Dancer meets an unfortunate end

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

[Redacted] on 18:52 - Aug 30 with 1987 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 19:02 - Aug 30 with 1909 viewsgainsboroughblue

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 18:44 - Aug 30 by Illinoisblue

Thank you both. Will give that a watch. Seem to recall Dancer meets an unfortunate end

Dancer went on to be in Murphys mob. The actor died quite recently too I think.

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 19:03 - Aug 30 with 1895 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 17:40 - Aug 30 by jontysnut

Bronco Bullfrog - late 60s/early 70s low budget movie reflecting suede head culture

This Sporting Life - Richard Harris and rugby league, also Saturday Night Sunday Morning from the same era, with Albert Finney

"Don't let the b@st@ds grind you down. What I want is a good time. All the rest is propaganda.”

Whole series of films in that era too.

The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner
Billy Liar
Alfie

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

[Redacted] on 19:08 - Aug 30 with 1871 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 19:15 - Aug 30 with 1837 viewschicoazul

Kidulthood

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 19:18 - Aug 30 with 1833 viewsjaykay

dancer was played by Ken Hutchison but the main character in that drama which was called just a boys game was frankie millar

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 19:40 - Aug 30 with 1804 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Although Ken Loach is mentioned in the article I, Daniel Blake isn't.

Rita, Sue and Bob, too, is an exploration of traditional expectations of both working class women and men.

Restless Natives is a late 80s Scottish gem about two going-nowhere lads who make a name for themselves.

Two obvious answers are The Full Monty and Brassed Off. Both explorations of the role of working men when the industries at the heart of their communities are closed down.
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 19:58 - Aug 30 with 1771 viewsMullet

Cannot believe Saturday Night Sunday Morning isn't in the conversation, but glad My Beautiful Laundrette is.

The Full Monty is also a good leftfield option that explores masculinity in a totally different context.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 20:05 - Aug 30 with 1748 viewsleitrimblue

Nil by Mouth
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 20:10 - Aug 30 with 1726 viewsMVBlue

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 20:05 - Aug 30 by leitrimblue

Nil by Mouth

Kes
Trainspotting
[Post edited 30 Aug 2023 20:11]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 20:35 - Aug 30 with 1673 viewsazuremerlangus

The Angry Silence

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/angry-silence-the/

Has an Ipswich connection too.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 20:42 - Aug 30 with 1642 viewsMeadowlark

The original Likely Lads.
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 20:53 - Aug 30 with 1613 viewsFtnfwest

Summer holiday, especially Melvyn Hayes
FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 21:00 - Aug 30 with 1589 viewsWeWereZombies

Get Carter is a reasonable watch to see the glamorisation of gangster life set in the North East of England (ian Hendry is one of the stars if you need an Ipswich connection.)

Stormy Monday has a similar backdrop and updates everything by twenty years if you can stand Sting's acting.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 21:06 - Aug 30 with 1569 viewsMullet

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 21:00 - Aug 30 by WeWereZombies

Get Carter is a reasonable watch to see the glamorisation of gangster life set in the North East of England (ian Hendry is one of the stars if you need an Ipswich connection.)

Stormy Monday has a similar backdrop and updates everything by twenty years if you can stand Sting's acting.

Brighton Rock being a sort of forerunner of that kind of film and arc?

Can't believe I didn't mention This Sporting Life earlier either, when thinking about kitchen sink stuff.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

FILMS- exploring British working class masculinity on 21:06 - Aug 30 with 1567 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

On an antipodean tangent 'Once Were Warriors' is worth 102 minutes of anyone's time.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024